Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Gratitude



Welcome everyone to another week here in George, South Africa,
We just want to say Donkey (thank you) for being part of our life.  We have felt your prayers and just knowing you are part of our lives has been a blessing.  We are so very grateful to know each one of you.
This has been an amazing week.  This morning as I was listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing,  "I Know that My Redeemer Lives"  I felt such gratitude for my Savior, who died and was resurrected for each and everyone of us.  It is a wonderful thing to contemplate this wonderful life we have and the people who cross our path.

I took pictures of our name tags to help me remember this time in my life, and I wanted to share them with you. I love putting on my name so that the world can know that for these 2 years we are representing Jesus Christ.



I'm grateful for P-day, it gives us an opportunity to play with the Elder's


Elder Richins challenged the 2 sets of missionaries to a contest.  The contest was to see who could have the cleanest car by the end of the day.  The winner was to be treated to a Hot Fudge sundae at Spurs.  Elder Speed and Elder Dladla shampooed the seats of the car, plus cleaned the boot (trunk) and washed and dried the outside.  Elder Featherstone washed his mats besides everything else and Elder Richins did the normal perfect job.  Everyone did such an amazing job that Elder Richins treated everyone to a Hot fudge Sunday, but alas it is now Sunday and we get to do it all over again.





Elder Sheward at a humble bungalow.  Notice how tall he is.  
I will forever be grateful for central heating, garbage disposal,and being able to run around the house bare foot. The tiles here are very cold in the winter. I am also very grateful to have a roof that doesn't leak here in George.  I was talking to one of the wonderful women here and she remembers a few years ago living in a bungalow that is like the bungalow above.  When it would rain she remembers coming home from work and going into the wet house, getting into a wet bed, then getting up in the morning putting her feet down on the ground and sloshing around on the wet floor. Talk about someone is grateful.  She now has a small home with tile floor on a foundation, with doors, windows and indoor plumbing.  So I say to myself how grateful I am for what I have.  For a good roof over my head and slippers that keep my feet warm, a little heater that  keeps our flat warm. an electric blanket and a nice warm bed, and to realize how easy it is to put the garbage in a sack.

Wednesday, garbage day.  I am grateful to have food on the table, toothpaste ect!


This man has spent the morning going through every ones garbage to salvage anything he can.  He is one of many.  Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning we hear dogs barking all over the neighborhood, as men, women and children scavenge the garbage for something they can use.




Elder Richins is helping Marshal get his mission papers ready.  All he has to do is the medical exam and dental work.  Look how he is dressed?  Now you don't see that everyday, when you are not a missionary.  He just became a counselor in the Elder's quorum.
I am grateful to have the opportunity to work with wonderful young people.  They really are a cut above the world's standard.




I am grateful for animals.  My grandchildren would know that whenever we are in town if we have the opportunity we go to the zoo.  Well, going to Thembuletu is like going to the zoo everyday.  I love the donkey's they are in a different place  everyday.  They wander across the road when the grass is greener on the other side.  They don't worry if a car is coming.  These ducks where just going in front of the library, while these students watch.
Defying gratify, I am grateful for missionaries who work hard, keep the mission rules and know how to have fun. 


Missionary work is all about service.  Friday we had the opportunity to move this family.  It was a challenge but I am grateful for the opportunity to serve and I am grateful to be healthly enough so I can.  We moved to families on Friday.  May I suggest if you have to move please have everything in boxes.  It sure helps.
The 1st family had very few boxes and the 2nd family had everything in boxes to move.


1st family
Dinner at the Rose with President and Sister Wood.  The Capetown mission president and his wife.  
Lunch at Nando's with our waitress.  Such a happy bunch.


I am grateful for grandchildren.  Many of them have emailed their grandparents and told us what is going on in their lives.  I love them for their time and for sharing their thoughts and love with us.

I am grateful for a Heavenly Father that answers prayers, and shows tender mercy to us.  I was feeding the missionaries and the President and Sister Woods after church today.  I had a few last minute preparations to do so I set the timer for 50 minutes so I would have time to get ready for church.  Just as I completed the last thing I needed to do, the alarm went off.  I know you might not think that is much but I consider it a tender little mercy, which I needed this morning.
Last night I was so very tired and my leg was throbbing.  In my prayer I asked Heavenly Father if he could subdue the throbbing tonight because I need a good nights sleep. I believe that was a very tender mercy and I was able to sleep like a baby.

We have been involved with some new friends that have been going through some challenging times.  On Friday when we saw them I could tell that their and our prayers where answered.  The peace you could see on their faces was so evident.

I am again very grateful to each of you for who you are.  Thanks so much for being part of our lives.
Elder and Sister Richins

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful that you are sharing these beautiful messages with me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete